• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Acute leg injury in 5-lb. dog

Joanne

Community Member
Registered
1. Your pet's name: Tippy
2. Approximate age: 12
3. Sex: Female
4. Neutering status: Spayed
5. Breed: Chihuahua
6. Approximate weight: 5lbs.
7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood): OK
8. Diet: Freeze-dried raw
9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication: Last vax was rabies in August 2020
10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time: Injured left front leg, has it in the air/unable to stand on it; unsure if related to a jump from the bed from a few weeks ago
11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc?: No
12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them.): No
13. Current and previous treatment. Nothing yet.
14. Other health concerns. No

Hello everyone! This morning Tippy was running around as she usually does in the morning. A little while later (after the running was done), I noticed that she was holding her leg up. I have carried her around with me since, but when I put her down a couple hours later, she was still favoring the leg. She is not showing any other symptoms of pain (no crying, yelping, no reaction to touching the leg, etc.).

I don't know if this is related to a jump from the bed about a month ago (she held the same leg up briefly then but was back to normal shortly thereafter). She also jumped from the bed and did a quick limp a few days ago but again was normal afterward. She did not jump today.

I'm reading that Arnica could help, but unsure of the dosage for this scenario.

Thank you!

Joanne

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about Tippy's leg Joanne.☹️
I'm reading that Arnica could help, but unsure of the dosage for this scenario.
Yes, Arnica would be perfect! 10M potency is perfect if you have it (or the highest potency you have or buy).

Perhaps start with a series of 10/Q-tip doses every 2 hours up to 3 doses. "Up to" means that you stop dosing if she responded to the previous dose.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Several possibilities come to mind since there was no trauma this time.
Small dogs often have a luxating patella. The knee cap pops out of its groove.
Often it pops back in quickly and usually there is no pain. Today, gently massage both legs, and very gently try to move the joint around - back and forth. You may help it pop back in.

Have you taken the 101 health course? It is full of suggestions to maximize vitality and balance which can help tendons and ligaments stay strong. You may want to also listen to webinars we have done on PT, exercise, mobility - again to work to keep the muscles and ligaments strong.

At the chihuahua rescue, they walk the healthier ones for 3-4 hours up and down the mountains. The more ill ones get slow sniff walks. They all get at least 8 minutes of slow petting to stimulate the feel good oxytocin.

keep us posted
DR. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Joanne!!

And we'll Skype momentarily...

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom