• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

9 year old male, not neutered golden retriever who seems anxious, depressed and has skin disease and genetic ichthyosis

TammyW

All-Access Member
Registered
Wyatt is my almost 9 year old male, not neutered golden retriever weighing approximately 83lbs.
The primary problem began last February time frame. He was born with icthiosis, and only showed signs of this on his belly which was mild and was only noticeable when brushing.
He developed very flaky skin all over his body and reddish tints on his paws, ears and groin area. He also had the odor of a taco chip. Researched and talked to Vet and his breeder and treated him for yeast over growth. The treatment I used was from Dog's Naturally, Yeast Fido Kit. He has been on this for two months along with the other golden retriever that we have Callie (female) Same symptoms. However, she has improved. Wyatt still has some redness and chronic ear infections. I have used Zymox otic so as not to disrupt the balance in his ears by using the Vet's ear meds which only clear them up temporarily. Wyatt has been eating a raw diet since he was 3 years old. We were purchasing organic chicken backs, necks, feets and hearts, liver from a farmer that I would grind, pack and freeze. Since COVID, the farmer wasn't able to supply me. So, I now found a butcher (not organic) but I am grinding the same for one month now. I also add supplements to the raw food, egg, sardines, broccoli, kale spinach, raw ground pumpkin seeds, fish oil caplets from Berte's Bee's. I add milk thistle, L-Glutemine, and golden turmeric paste. I give these off and on throughout the year, for two weeks at a time alternating them. I also give him fresh organic blueberries or strawberries or raspberries as treats or snacks. No commercial dog treats. Nothing has cleared up his ears and barely improved his flakey skin.
Last spring when this all started we began preparing to sell our home and move. I was working at home due to COVID, then went back to work part time and now I am back full time again. We sold our home and moved in December, 2021. We are now in a rental. We also had three cats, we lost the first cat several years back then we lost another in December of 2020 and most recently the last one on January 4, 2022. I mention this because Wyatt loved the cats. Wyatt has always been more of an anxious or more cautious personality, very loving and playful. Recently, he barks at nothing, when being walked and meets another dog, he growls not aggressively, but almost in fear as he backs up away from the other dog..
He paces and is unsettled. He lays next to the front door until we come home from work everyday. I know this because we have a camera that I can view my dogs while away from home. He is constantly wanting attention, he never leaves your side.
He has a great appetite and is eager to eat morning and night, so his appetite has not changed.
I also had a full thyroid panel done last May, 2021 on him and all came back normal. The Vet, feels that because I feed raw that he isn't getting proper nutrients and vitamins/minerals. and tried to discourage me from raw feeding trying to scare me with all kinds of stories.
When he was 3 years old he and my female golden got mange due to fox in our backyards. He was with Revolution for 2 years. I hated it but
felt that I didn't have a choice. He also had lymes disease, I gave him holistic tx from Natural Rearing ( Ledum and another holistic oil) He is gets a Rabie vaccine by law every 3 years (New Jersey). He has had distemper vaccines but I have stopped them now. If the Vet. bothers me I will insist upon a Titer first. Other than that no vaccines.
Wyatt has always been a lovable, sweet, tender, playful energic boy.
His energy in the last year has been less, mostly due to my lack of attention due to moving and going back to work. His appetite is great no problems. His mood to me is anxious and depressed.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Tammy-

Thanks for making your first post! ?♥️

Wyatt's a lucky boy to have you as his guardian.

It may be helpful to know for certain is that his body is designed to heal. And he already has the awe-some tools to naturally heal (no special supplements are needed).

Let's just get him back on the right track!!?⚡

Perhaps start by getting him outside for a Therapeutic Sniff Walk so he can practice puppy pranayama to raise his cellular energy and ability to heal.

Then maybe employ his high food drive combined with the sniffing.

If you don't already use a snuffle mat, I think he'll love it. Especially if it's loaded with tiny bits of freeze dried chicken/duck/turkey, etc. heart

His skin and behavior will gradually improve as his body re-balances.

Here's a few other thoughts for helping him be happier and healthier:

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
What a lucky boy he is. You have done a great job so far. You may be right that the deaths, moves and work schedules may be at the root of his flare up.

Working with a homeopathic veterinarian may be needed in addition to what Dr. Jeff suggested, since you have tried many great things already. Homeopathy is great when an individual is "never well since" specific things happened. How to Select an Integrative Holistic Veterinarian - Holistic Actions!

Check the article on selecting and working with a holistic vet, and be sure to take the basic 101 health course as well. As a member, you can become a client of Dr. Jeff.

Dr. Christina

TammyW

All-Access Member
Registered
What a lucky boy he is. You have done a great job so far. You may be right that the deaths, moves and work schedules may be at the root of his flare up.

Working with a homeopathic veterinarian may be needed in addition to what Dr. Jeff suggested, since you have tried many great things already. Homeopathy is great when an individual is "never well since" specific things happened. How to Select an Integrative Holistic Veterinarian - Holistic Actions!

Check the article on selecting and working with a holistic vet, and be sure to take the basic 101 health course as well. As a member, you can become a client of Dr. Jeff.

Dr. Christina
Thank you so much Dr. Christina! I appreciate and valuable all of your support and expertise. I will keep you posted on our progress.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom