• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

19 year old cat has bleeding gums

FrancineR

VIP Member
Registered
Zozo, my beloved 19 year old Siamese is experiencing bleeding gums. I believe she is suffering from either periodontitis or stomatitis. While she exhibits an interest in eating (raw and fresh food diet), she walks away from food…and goes to drink water. She does not paw at her mouth, but other symptoms line up with both diseases. The bleeding is not constant, but at various times of the day and night. She still is loving, a bit sensitive when trying to look at her gums, and otherwise exhibits normal behavior.

I have given her Arnica, Arsenica album and, most recently, Mercurius vivu. I am hoping to get some advice on another remedy that might better address the problem.

My appreciation and gratitude to any advice or suggestions. Thank you. 🙏😿💕

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Hamilton's book has an extensive chapter on mouth, gums, and teeth, from which I will not attempt to quote. It would be helpful for you to know more specifically whence the blood comes, under what conditions, what else could possibly be occurring, what has changed with her, etc. I would look at getting more Vit C into her diet, on general principles, and perhaps Echinacea. I'd ask a gentle vet to have a good look around in there to determine the source - is this a local issue or a systemic one? How you treat it will be different. How is her temperament? Any changes at all? If this is an obvious issue, there will be useful remedies within your reach, but this can also be an ongoing situation which may respond well to a full-on homeopathic case-taking. Let us know what you can determine.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I would certainly take her to the vet to see what is really going on. If there is severe dental disease, it needs to be addressed properly. Cats are so stoic, it's very hard to tell, but dental disease can be very painful and spread infection to other organs like kidneys and liver. If it's affecting her eating, it's not something I'd use non-specific remedies and herbs for. At her age it can quickly become an emergency. We need to know what's happening in her mouth!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
When you do have a veterinary exam (go to the article on finding a vet and maybe there is one who is slightly holistic), do not just say yes (I suspect you are a great advocate for your kitty) to diagnostics or treatments. Get their information to give your veterinary homeopath whom I strongly suggest working with (some work by phone) - go to www.theavh.org, filter for phone, then check out websites for Herman, Cooney, Sagrera.Stomatitis can be very challenging to treat, even homeopathically.

In the next few days, try some raw goats milk, chicken broths (I love Anitra Frazier's hi calcium chicken broth ) - her book is The Natural Cat. Try them room temp and maybe freeze one or two cubes to see if the cold on her tongue feels good when she licks.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom