• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

✅ Purina's Live Clear formula and allergen reduction

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
So, I'm virtually covering VMX and one of the presenters is talking about how amazing Purina's Live Clear is because it's able to reduce the allergens in cat hair and dander for cat parents who'd consider rehoming their cat due to allergies. I looked it up and found this:

How does Purina Live clear work?
How Pro Plan LiveClear Works. All cats produce a common allergen, Fel d 1, in their saliva. When cats eat LiveClear, a key protein sourced from eggs binds to the Fel d 1 and neutralizes it. And when fed daily, LiveClear significantly reduces the allergens in cat hair and dander.

Can the vets here comment on this ingredient? I'm interested in learning more about it, not bec I'd consider feeding this, but more from an educational standpoint and also to ask whether there is anything natural you recommend including in a cat's diet to reduce the allergen off load. Or, is it more addressing the allergic reaction in the pet parent through homeopathy or other natural modalities?

Look forward to hearing back!

Thanks!

Jody ??

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Jody!

How's VMX going so far?

Which ingredient are you asking about? If this is a dry food then the answer is (regardless of the ingredient) to not use it.

Raw feeding (of the cat) and homeopathy (cat or person) often has the same effect as this food is purported to have.

Daily brushing and wiping down with a damp washcloth also has the same effect.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hey Jody!

How's VMX going so far?

Which ingredient are you asking about? If this is a dry food then the answer is (regardless of the ingredient) to not use it.

Raw feeding (of the cat) and homeopathy (cat or person) often has the same effect as this food is purported to have.

Daily brushing and wiping down with a damp washcloth also has the same effect.
It going well! Tomorrow's last day. Learning a lot and seeing, first hand, how much misinformation vets are still teaching other vets. Oy. Frustrating. Re this food, I would never consider it or recommend any purina food or any dry food. This was an educational question purely. About the ingredient they are claiming does this - this key protein sourced from eggs that binds to the protein in the cat's saliva. Wondering if you knew anything about this protein. Thx.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I don't know about this protein in particular, but I'll see what I can find.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I don't know about this protein in particular, but I'll see what I can find.
Thx. I wouldn't spend time on it unless you're interested. I just wondered if you knew of it.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
OK, thanks again Jody.

All I could find were Purina scientists writing about an IgY antibody "from eggs" that binds the cat allergen in saliva and sebum.

@Dr. Jean may know more about this ingredient.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I don't know any more about it than you do, Dr. Jeff. It *is* a dry food (albeit in three theoretically yummy flavors), so of course not appropriate for cats!

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I don't know any more about it than you do, Dr. Jeff. It *is* a dry food (albeit in three theoretically yummy flavors), so of course not appropriate for cats!
Yes, thank you Dr. Jean!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom