• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Styptic Powder vs. Yunnan Bai Yao

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello! I was searching for a nail grinder online and came across styptic powder....I was wondering if I could use Yunnan Bai Yao in lieu of the powder in case I need to stop bleeding nails? @Dr. Christina and @Dr. Jeff ?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes (tho it may not be as effective as styptic depending on Hope's susceptibility to it).

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you both! ❤️ I will make a batch of cornstarch + baking soda. ?

Last edited:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Perhaps better would be to be conservative on grinding. In 25 years of using a grinder, I don't believe I ever got deep enough to cause bleeding. Take tiny bits off, and do them more often, with lots of yummy treats. That's the best part of using a grinder - no pain, no blood. The large vein in the nail is recessed - and will recess further each time the nail is shortened.

Also, stay away from the complicated patent grinders that you just jam them into. Get a Dremel, with either sanding drums, or with an investment in a diamond bit such as are available from dog show grooming outfits - sharp, and last forever.

I have always found nail grooming to be a powerful bonding time which generates mutual trust...

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Perhaps better would be to be conservative on grinding. In 25 years of using a grinder, I don't believe I ever got deep enough to cause bleeding. Take tiny bits off, and do them more often, with lots of yummy treats. That's the best part of using a grinder - no pain, no blood. The large vein in the nail is recessed - and will recess further each time the nail is shortened.

Also, stay away from the complicated patent grinders that you just jam them into. Get a Dremel, with either sanding drums, or with an investment in a diamond bit such as are available from dog show grooming outfits - sharp, and last forever.

I have always found nail grooming to be a powerful bonding time which generates mutual trust...
Thanks for the suggestion, Ginny!
I have a fluffy black dog with black nails...grinding her nails have been a challenge. I do enjoy SO MUCH grooming her so I really aim to be skillful at grinding her nails. I had an old Dremel without the protective cap and I jammed her hair in it ?. Thankfully, she did not yelp (as in pain) but just looked at me intently like saying "what are you doing...." Do you have any tips on grinding (black) nails on a fluffy black dog?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Hold one toe at a time, and keep the hair pushed back behind your fingers. Or, trim the hair a bit, as a grooming rule. And of course, if you work quickly and settle for just a bit each time, you won't be as likely to snag hair. Hold the toe so as to push the toe straighter by pressure right on the top of the knuckle. I've never tried it, but you might be able to devise a little cone-like shield to go over the toe, perhaps out of cloth so it flexes, and with a small opening for the nail to stick through.

I work on the floor, usually, and have the dog lie down with me and put one paw up on my thigh. One treat for getting in position, and then one, two or three strokes and another treat. Lots of praise! Hard cases DO get put in a stanchion, but with lots of praise and treats, and minimal time on each foot. If this is not my dog, I make sure the owner is there and complicit in praising.

Wish I were there; I'm the Nail Nazi, and they all get done:)

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hold one toe at a time, and keep the hair pushed back behind your fingers. Or, trim the hair a bit, as a grooming rule. And of course, if you work quickly and settle for just a bit each time, you won't be as likely to snag hair. Hold the toe so as to push the toe straighter by pressure right on the top of the knuckle. I've never tried it, but you might be able to devise a little cone-like shield to go over the toe, perhaps out of cloth so it flexes, and with a small opening for the nail to stick through.

I work on the floor, usually, and have the dog lie down with me and put one paw up on my thigh. One treat for getting in position, and then one, two or three strokes and another treat. Lots of praise! Hard cases DO get put in a stanchion, but with lots of praise and treats, and minimal time on each foot. If this is not my dog, I make sure the owner is there and complicit in praising.

Wish I were there; I'm the Nail Nazi, and they all get done:)
Thank you so much for the useful and detailed instructions. I NEED to be your neighbor. ;)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom