• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog Bite...now what??????

Deena

All-Access Member
Registered
1st time dealing with this and looking for advice for the best outcome for all involved: 2 and 4 legged.

My 7 yr old, 3rd generation NR, spayed female bit my tenant this morning. There was lots of arousal, from many directions, at the time. The lawn guys were weed whacking right by the front door which causes the dogs to go nutty. My tenant downstairs uses the front door where there is a small foyer. The dogs are supposed to be upstairs but 1 got down to the foyer w/o us noticing. My tenant went to leave, carrying two large bags, and my dog barked aggressively and bit him. Again, 3rd gen NR. Pic of wound attached.

Tenant luckily stayed calm but I don't know if he will go to Dr and it will get reported. I could not get wound to bleed much. I topically cleaned the wound. Hot compressed for a good 5 minutes. Made up a bottle of Ledum 30C. Gave him a dose, showed him how to succuss, and asked him to dose throughout the day for a minimum of 3 times. Unfortunately he is going out of town after work so I won't have an opportunity to monitor but I could bring him additional remedies during the day.

Dog is under homeopathic care. I'm thrilled how well her current remedy is working at the 10M potency level. Just yesterday I was commenting how non-reactive and balanced she is being in situations that used to set her off. Now this.......

Thoughts? Private replies welcome.....Deena

Cropped 8am 8-29.jpg

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Bites are always a challenge with naturally reared (NR) dogs.
Most importantly - contact your homeopathic veterinarian for how to deal with the law, if you end up needing to.

There are two separate legal issues with Rabies vaccine.
1. Your pet is bitten by an unknown animal. In the past, and still in many places, this resulted in euthanasia or months long quarantine since it can take a long time for the rabies virus to become infective (in the saliva).

If a dog or cat has ever been vaccinated with rabies, the new recommendation (law in CT and some other states, but not all) from AHVMA is to vaccinate and no need for quarantine. While titers are not accepted in lieu of vaccines, I would always recommend at least one rabies titer if you are not staying legally current in your country or locality.

2. Your dog (as now) bites someone and is not current on rabies vaccine. For the person to become infected, your dog would need to show neurologic symptoms within a few days of the bite, and be dead within 10 days. This is why there is always a 10 day "house quarantine" even if current on the vaccine. If the person who was bit (especially if a child or infant) screams louder than you, your pet may be euthanized to test the brain (only way to diagnose rabies). If your pet is perfectly healthy 10 days after the bite the rabies virus could not have infected the person.

Dr. Christina

jsqueglia

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Christina for answering this post and Dr Sara for Liking it.

You answered it perfectly and answered all the questions that came into my head after reading the post.

The rabies vaccine was the one part of the NR process that I was wondering about, thanks again for answering this post. I was waiting for someone to respond:)
Jackie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, thanks so much for the reply Dr. Christina!?

This might be a good place to re-post the strategy I recommend for NR (naturally reared) pets and the required rabies.

1. Learn about the early warning signs (EWS) of internal imbalance and look closely for them in your pet:

2. Take your list of these EWS and any other symptoms that your pet may have and consult with a trained and experienced vet homeopath at least 6 weeks prior to the planned vaccination. S/he will identify any internal imbalance and will initiate treatment to "fine-tune" your pets'.

3. When there are no other EWS or during this treatment, have a thimerosal (and mercury)-free rabies vaccine given. Ideally by your vet homeopath or another holistically-oriented vet who is aware of the danger from toxins in vaccines.?

4. Watch closely for any new symptoms or recheck with the vet homeopath within 2 weeks of the vaccination to look closely for any new symptoms of imbalance that resulted from the vaccine.

In addition, Dr. Christina has a strategy using Flower Essences and Reiki for use at the time of vaccination and immediately after it.

You can find this strategy and a lot more in the vaccinosis e-book in your member area.

The bottom line is that the better balanced your pet is in prior to the vaccine (or any stressor), the less the chance of a problem from it.?

Deena

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you all for your comments in concern. End result...Quarantine ended today and the case is closed. Our ACO was very understanding and made the process as easy as possible.

To add to Dr Christina's excellent reply......
1. Know both your state and local laws for the situation
2. Know what usually happens in your situation
3. COOPERATE with your ACO

I knew my state has a 10 day quarantine. I knew my local ACO prefers home quarantine unless you are a real bozo they can't trust for follow the rules.

The bite needed to be reported due to my tenant spiking a temp and feeling achy all over (most likely TBD). I knew to home quarantine the dog as soon as the incident happened. So when ACO did call me and come over, I only had a few more days left to get to my 10 days. Another thing that got me brownie points was checking in regularly on the person bit. Finally, I put into action items to help the situation from happening again. Like new gates and educating the family and tenants on dog behavior and keeping safe.

Deena

LyndseyM

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you all for your comments in concern. End result...Quarantine ended today and the case is closed. Our ACO was very understanding and made the process as easy as possible.

To add to Dr Christina's excellent reply......
1. Know both your state and local laws for the situation
2. Know what usually happens in your situation
3. COOPERATE with your ACO

I knew my state has a 10 day quarantine. I knew my local ACO prefers home quarantine unless you are a real bozo they can't trust for follow the rules.

The bite needed to be reported due to my tenant spiking a temp and feeling achy all over (most likely TBD). I knew to home quarantine the dog as soon as the incident happened. So when ACO did call me and come over, I only had a few more days left to get to my 10 days. Another thing that got me brownie points was checking in regularly on the person bit. Finally, I put into action items to help the situation from happening again. Like new gates and educating the family and tenants on dog behavior and keeping safe.

Deena
Hey Deena, I know this is an old thread, but I had a similar circumstance occur recently. I have 2 german shepherds who I am naturally rearing - first litter birthed March 27, 2021 - so my dogs they have received 1 round of puppy vaccines from their breeder and we did 1 rabies shot.

My female, having just whelped 3 weeks prior, was being extra territorial, got out and went for a small dacshund that lives on our street - never had issues in the past. My male who is a big lush, curious, and caring, went to check on the dog after my boyfriend was able to collect my female, did not bite or attack the little dog in any way. Because the other dog had to be brought to the hospital (she is alive, albeit 1 eye is forever lost :() they called AC to report, and according to the wife, to ensure we cover their vet bills - which we offered to do WELL before anybody informed us that it is a requirement in these instances.

Dogs were placed on 14 day at-home QT most especially because they had one rabies and our puppies were not weaned yet. AC agreed that it isn't wise to vaccinate the female while she is lactating, but my male who didn't do ANYTHING, is getting a bad rap like he bit the dog and is rabies vaccine-injured to boot. I guess my question is: did you vaccinate your NR dog after this for rabies to be compliant or what happened in this regard?

Thank you well in advance!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Lyndsey.

No, I don't believe that Deena ever re-vaccinated.

Has your ACO followed up?

How many days/weeks has it been since the incident?

LyndseyM

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Lyndsey.

No, I don't believe that Deena ever re-vaccinated.

Has your ACO followed up?

How many days/weeks has it been since the incident?
Hi Dr. Jeff!

It happened about a month ago.

She apparently stopped by the house today and left a note - she didn't call, which I thought was odd. But I have been spinning my wheels with how to move forward, and she leaves early so I haven't spoken with her directly. I did schedule an appointment with you on June 14th I believe. If my hand is going to be forced, despite Xander's issues as a result (he is improving with the addition on the ion biome and the new probiotics! but he isn't 100%), I would like to move forward to optimize his wellness and prevent further vaccinosis.

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hmm...?

Great news that Xander seems better!

In what way has he shifted since using helping to balance his microbiome?

I look forward to our next HMDM chat.

LyndseyM

All-Access Member
Registered
He is definitely itching less, whereas before he would spend (what seemed like) hours gnawing at his feet and incapable of getting comfortable because of the incessant itching. Hair on his pinna is growing back (super bonus because I don't think he ever had hair there to begin with to be honest), and he is spending less time on his feet. He does continue to have some waxy ear buildup but he isn't shaking and it doesn't seem to be impacting his QOL too much like it once had; I assume that will be the last to improve due to its stubborn nature.

The puppies are just 8.5 weeks now and will be going to their respective homes next Friday (we wanted to keep them to ensure optimal maturation and adaptability. So since about 4 weeks they have been going outside to help facilitate potty training so Xander has been able to spend more time out in nature sniffing and hangout out. :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom