• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Constipated kitten

denize

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello hello,
Chamomile the kitten is frequently, possibly always, constipated. She doesn’t poop regularly and when she finally does, a poop will halfway exit and then just stay there for a day or so. She HATES when I try to facilitate the exit so I am rarely successful.
I read in one of the books that nux vomica is good for kittens who are constipated and it does seem to help her but doesn’t cure it.
Any other suggestions? She is active, nursing, and eating raw food and a little formula. She gets sprinkles of probiotic.
She doesn’t have a big appetite either.
Thanks!

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I would suggest that you add a small amount (about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon) of cooked or canned pumpkin to each meal. Pumpkin contains both soluble and insoluble fiber, is nutritious, and improves stool quality. Many cats like it; i had one patient who dug it out of the carton with his paw. I would mix it well with Chamomile's food.
There are many homeopathic medicines that can help with constipation. Nux is one, Sulphur, Nat mur, Silica, and Alumina are also possibilities. They should be chosen based on the totality of kitty's signs. You always want to be sure that the diet is appropriate first, and adding pumpkin will ensure that you have a good fiber balance.
Let us know how things go!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Denize!

Dr. Sara said exactly what to do.

Find other symptoms to individualize this kitty to help differentiate remedies.

She's just a baby and should not have a lot going on, so look to the early warning signs (EWS) of internal imbalance for clues.

You can find most of them here (tho you probably know most of them already:)):

For example, does she drink (in addition to her nursing) or is she especially heat or cool seeking?

Any eye or nose discharge?

How's her coat, skittishness, etc.?

In addition to the great suggestion of pumpkin, a pinch of psyllium will help her physically.

However, the underlying energy imbalance will still need correcting.

She should not need either pumpkin or psyllium on a chronic basis in order to poop properly.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
What potency of Nux vomica did you give?
What, exactly, do you mean when you say it helped but did not cure?
After you gave a dose go hour by hour what was different with stool and appetite and any other symptoms you may think of after Dr. Sara and Dr. Jeff's posts?
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom