• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cats and me

BettinaT

VIP Member
Registered
I feel like I'm in a position to ask now, so I've decided to post here.

I am 37 years old and have two cats who are now 11 and 12 years old.
All our lives, we have just survived and not been able to live our lives.
The reason for this is because I have had some challenges with my health that left me with no energy for anything other than the basic things to survive.

This has caused my cats and I to be at a standstill in life.
I have also not been able to empathize with my cats and my needs. Therefore, I am now in a position where I have to learn a lot from scratch.

My health is better now and I want to do everything I can to learn quickly so I can make sure my cats' needs are met.
So I have a few questions now.
Last week I went for a health check with my boy cat. The vet said his fur and ears looked fine.
But his gums didn't look good due to a lot of plaque.

Back at the end of 2022 I also went to the vet, both with my boy and girl cat, where they were both put under anesthesia and had their teeth cleaned.

Is there anything I can do to avoid my cats having to be anesthetized again to have their teeth cleaned?
I've also noticed for a couple of months now that when my boy cat walks around in here, it kind of clicks a bit from his joints.
I mentioned it to the vet when we went for our health check and he said it was just something age related.
What can I do here and be aware of?

And for food for them, I give them either raw chicken, turkey or rabbit meat. I add vitamin powder from here: Know What You Feed Your Cat - Shop Online
Sometimes i can add a little of chicken liver in with the pure meat. I have try with hearts also, but they don't like that.
I don't give anything else, and the only supplement I give is sometimes this one I sprinkle on top, as I was told it might help with plaque
1707418922196.png
Are there any supplements or anything else you think would be good for my cats now?

I'm following medical medium myself now, and if any of the supplements recommended here could be beneficial for my cats, please let me know, thanks. Pets

I've also noticed that they both often tend to throw up hairballs.
When they eat a bit of grass, they also often vomit afterwards, though only a little liquid.

How often is it normal for a cat to defecate?
Sometimes it's probably 3-4 days before I see feces on the litter box.

And my last question now. Approximately how long is it normal for a cat to need to sleep during the day at their age? (11 and 12 years old)
My cats have access to an enclosed garden where they are let out when they show interest.

I often feel like I have no more time to waste now, because the years have gone by so quickly and I haven't been able to take good care of my cats or myself. I'm also working on taking better care of myself now :)

Thanks for reading along. It means a lot to my cats and me. Paws greetings from Bello and Perle and their mom Bettina.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Bettina!

I'm so sorry to hear about your health challenges and am super happy that you are doing better. And that you are posting about your kitty's quality of life and happiness. ? ?
Is there anything I can do to avoid my cats having to be anesthetized again to have their teeth cleaned?
Yes! And, depending on their diets and genetics, some cats ever need dentistry.

However, sometimes a dental cleaning is the best action (depending on the severity of the dental dis-ease).

when my boy cat walks around in here, it kind of clicks a bit from his joints.

What can I do here and be aware of?
Great question!

The very first thing is to be aware on the kitty's BEAM, happiness and quality of life.

The next thing. is to focus on what they love to do (or eat) more than anything in the world. What makes them purr the most, play, cuddle, etc.

Regarding the specific symptom of the clicking, the next thing is to put it in context.

When do you hear it, what brings it on or what is it associated with, etc.

The next is to determine, what, if any, mobility challenges he may have? Things like not jumping up as high as usual, less running, slower walking, etc.
Are there any supplements or anything else you think would be good for my cats now?
What exactly is the source of the meats? Are they meats formulated for cats with bones, organs and glands?
How often is it normal for a cat to defecate?
""Normal" varies but ideally is daily but every other day is virtually normal. I just examined a kitty yesterday who poops (normal stools) once/week!

Approximately how long is it normal for a cat to need to sleep during the day at their age? (11 and 12 years old)
~20 hours/day, depending on their environmental stimulation and engagement, in my experience. @Dr. Jean Hofve might have a better answer tho.

BTW-one of my kitties is stimulated by windows and high places to explore so sleeps way less than my other (older and way less active) kitty.

aviva elephant.jpg

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
@BettinaT Good morning! I am a member, not a veterinarian, and I enjoyed reading your share today. I also empathize with you. Just wanted to share my encouragement as you feel you are in a better place to make some more active decisions and actions for you and your kitties. I have two female cats, sister/littermates, who will be turning 14 next month! I have heard a bit of cracking noise at times when my one kitty Bella walks, and an xray confirmed she (and her sister, though I can't hear any cracking with her), have normal age osteoarthritis. I give them an herbal supplement for joint health from Sustenance Herbs called Joint Works. I have learned a lot and receive a lot of support from the community here in Holistic Actions as well! I've had great reminders of focusing on the positive as my one kitty has been dealing with kidney issues. By using homeopathy through Dr. Judith Herman, Bella's BEAM is improving, and things take time. I could gently caution thinking that you must now hurry to catch up with what you can do to help or fix things. I understand you may feel that way, but try to take things one day at a time!

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Hey Bettina!

I'm so sorry to hear about your health challenges and am super happy that you are doing better. And that you are posting about your kitty's quality of life and happiness. ? ?

However, sometimes a dental cleaning is the best action (depending on the severity of the dental dis-ease).

Great question!

The very first thing is to be aware on the kitty's BEAM, happiness and quality of life.

The next thing. is to focus on what they love to do (or eat) more than anything in the world. What makes them purr the most, play, cuddle, etc.

Regarding the specific symptom of the clicking, the next thing is to put it in context.

The next is to determine, what, if any, mobility challenges he may have? Things like not jumping up as high as usual, less running, slower walking, etc.

What exactly is the source of the meats? Are they meats formulated for cats with bones, organs and glands?

""Normal" varies but ideally is daily but every other day is virtually normal. I just examined a kitty yesterday who poops (normal stools) once/week!

~20 hours/day, depending on their environmental stimulation and engagement, in my experience. @Dr. Jean Hofve might have a better answer tho.

BTW-one of my kitties is stimulated by windows and high places to explore so sleeps way less than my other (older and way less active) kitty.

aviva elephant.jpg
@Dr. Jeff I love the pic of your kitty!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Bettina, How wonderful that your life is finally turning around. I want to echo Daysha's comment not to feel overwhelmed that you must do everything right away.

There is no one correct answer and no expert, so focusing on one thing at a time, trying a new approach at a time (even though you will see a huge # of options here) and mostly loving these kitties, sending positive heart thoughts their way as well as to yourself is most important.

Since you seem to be feeding fresh meats, the only supplement that we all agree on is Calcium. Either feed raw meaty bones several times a week or use a calcium supplement (egg shells, calcium from algae, or bonemeal). Feeding chicken backs or necks does the calcium, and often will remove tarter from their teeth. There are also some supplements that can help with that.

I would suggest buying The natural cat by Anitra Frazier and listening to her webinars at HA and also at AllPawsPetTalk.tv. She is an amazing cat caretaker in NYC.

Also, maybe you can find the time now to download the Healthy Cat Journal and assemble one 3 ring binder for each of your cats.

Dr. Christina Chambreau

BettinaT

VIP Member
Registered

My boy cat's gums are red around the edges. The vet said it needed to be done soon, he said I only had him for another 3 years. That comment hit me hard. I have a hard time finding a good vet I feel, the one I used is also used as a vet in a zoo, so I figured it's a good vet.
They gets pure chicken, turkey or rabbit. I also add in a little chicken liver sometimes. And when also add the vitamin powder to it.
Great question!

I hear it every time he walk almost. Nothing have changede in the way the jumps. As they are indors cats, and only a little outside in the garden, i dont see them running often. It's only when they play together and chase each other that they run. But I haven't paid attention after them when they've been running.

BettinaT

VIP Member
Registered
I would suggest buying The natural cat by Anitra Frazier and listening to her webinars at HA and also at AllPawsPetTalk.tv. She is an amazing cat caretaker in NYC.

Also, maybe you can find the time now to download the Healthy Cat Journal and assemble one 3 ring binder for each of your cats.
Thanks, where do i find the download to healthy cat ? :)

BettinaT

VIP Member
Registered
@BettinaT Good morning! I am a member, not a veterinarian, and I enjoyed reading your share today. I also empathize with you. Just wanted to share my encouragement as you feel you are in a better place to make some more active decisions and actions for you and your kitties. I have two female cats, sister/littermates, who will be turning 14 next month! I have heard a bit of cracking noise at times when my one kitty Bella walks, and an xray confirmed she (and her sister, though I can't hear any cracking with her), have normal age osteoarthritis. I give them an herbal supplement for joint health from Sustenance Herbs called Joint Works. I have learned a lot and receive a lot of support from the community here in Holistic Actions as well! I've had great reminders of focusing on the positive as my one kitty has been dealing with kidney issues. By using homeopathy through Dr. Judith Herman, Bella's BEAM is improving, and things take time. I could gently caution thinking that you must now hurry to catch up with what you can do to help or fix things. I understand you may feel that way, but try to take things one day at a time!

Thanks for you message. Yes, its really important for me to remember, one thing at the day :)

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Bettina, How wonderful that your life is finally turning around. I want to echo Daysha's comment not to feel overwhelmed that you must do everything right away.

There is no one correct answer and no expert, so focusing on one thing at a time, trying a new approach at a time (even though you will see a huge # of options here) and mostly loving these kitties, sending positive heart thoughts their way as well as to yourself is most important.

Since you seem to be feeding fresh meats, the only supplement that we all agree on is Calcium. Either feed raw meaty bones several times a week or use a calcium supplement (egg shells, calcium from algae, or bonemeal). Feeding chicken backs or necks does the calcium, and often will remove tarter from their teeth. There are also some supplements that can help with that.

Dr. Christina Chambreau
I love Anitra Frazier!

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi Bettina! Good for you on getting your life back, and especially for wanting to do that together with your kitties!

As far as diet, the Alnutrin with Calcium is a complete supplement that when added to meat does make a balanced food. Still, as Dr. Jeff hinted, I would also consider adding a bit of liver, or an organ supplement like this one: Grass Fed Organ Complex. It is expensive, but for feeding cats it will go a long, long way! The human dose is 6 capsules per day, but that translates into one per day per cat.

The downloadable (Kindle version) of Anitra's book is the New Natural Cat on Amazon:

I am not a big fan of kelp for cats, it is too high in iodine and can lead to hyperthyroidism. A better dental supplement is Wysong DentaTreat.

For environmental enrichment, here's a start: Indoor Enrichment for Cats | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve (includes a link to much more info from The Ohio State U.)

If you have the energy, another great option is "Play Therapy." This is just interactive play with the cats. You can use a laser pointer from a chair but always follow up with a tangible toy (catnip mouse, etc.) and/or a treat so they have the satisfaction of concluding the hunt!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Dr. Jean, your great post reminds me that it might be helpful to get together a handout on happiness promoting resources for kitties similar to what we have for dogs:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom