• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

11 yo female dog with Acute Hemorrhagic Diarrhea and Cholecystitis

Anastasia

Community Member
Registered
Hi all, new to the forum but would greatly appreciate the advice of the vet gurus here.
1. Amelia
2. 11 yo
3. Female
4. Spayed
5. Shih-tzu
6. ~16 LBs
7. BEAM improving - behavior back to normal, energy almost there, appetite weird (more details below), mood is good. She still has times when I can tell she is not feeling 100%.
8. Prior to the incident this week, she would have Farmer's Dog, sweet potatoes, raw ground turkey and, unfortunately, my husband would also give her Nature's Logic kibble (Sardine recipe) and some canned food, like Blue, Dave's and others. We also give her sardines and canned wild salmon (no salt, spring water) from time to time. After we got her back from the clinic this week, all she wants to eat is boiled turkey. She won't touch anything else and it's been like that all week now. She seems to be enthusiastic about the boiled turkey and likes it but she needs to get better nutrition than that long-term.
9. Haven't been vaccinated for several years now and I intend to keep it that way. Not on any medication until this week when she was discharged from the emergency clinic.
10. On 4/15 she was fine in the morning but by evening, she threw up once and started having bloody diarrhea. It was primarily just watery blood with nothing else coming out. Took her to the emergency clinic where she was diagnosed with acute hemorrhagic diarrhea and kept overnight due to slightly lower temps, lower blood pressure. and threat of dehydration. They also did an ultrasound and found sludge in her gallbladder (that worries me the most) and said that she needs to be on ursodiol for the rest of her life (I would like to get her off that).
She was discharged with 1) Maropitant (I didn't give it because she was not nauseous anymore) 2) Pro-Pectalin Gel (probitic and anti-diarrhea) - I gave it a couple of times and stopped 3. Ursodiol (long-term) - I gave it a couple of times and stopped because the pills are huge, difficult to hide and I'd rather not have her on medication unless absolutely necessary 4. Clavamox - stopped after 3 days.
11. Amelia has had tummy trouble before on and off for years now. It's mostly where she may have an upset stomach a bit, or throws up occasionally or there is rumbling in her stomach and she just doesn't eat because she doesn't feel good in her tummy.
12. Attaching all the paperwork from the emergency clinic.
13. Currently I stopped all medications. I give her a bit of Vimergy B12, Vimergy Barley Grass Juice extract powder, Vimergy spirulina and Vimergy wild blueberry powder mixed in with a bit of water and I just give it to her via a dropper. I gave her a tiny bit of celery juice yesterday to promote digestion. A few drops of Vimergy propolis yesterday. Trying to think how to incorporate some Vitamin C but she is hard to give any meds or supplements to, she figures it out if I hide it in food. I mainly follow the supplement guidelines here: Pet Health
14. Other health concerns.
Appreciate any advice! @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Jean Hofve

Attachments

• Amelia Strokova.pdf
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Discharge 04152024.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Flowsheet 04152024.pdf
    176 KB · Views: 0
  • Labwork 04152024.pdf
    518.9 KB · Views: 0

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the super thorough post Anastasia!

Amelia is one lucky dog to have you. 😍
Appreciate any advice
Perhaps get back to us with her BEAM and overall state ~3 weeks into getting her on to a raw diet.

You should be able to mix little bits with her turkey to start.

If you have time, try taking the HA! 101 course as a great way to start learning about how to increase her vitality and balance to help her regain and maintain her health..

Anastasia

Community Member
Registered
Thanks for the super thorough post Anastasia!

Amelia is one lucky dog to have you. 😍

Perhaps get back to us with her BEAM and overall state ~3 weeks into getting her on to a raw diet.

You should be able to mix little bits with her turkey to start.

If you have time, try taking the HA! 101 course as a great way to start learning about how to increase her vitality and balance to help her regain and maintain her health..
Hi @Dr. Jeff, can I get some guidance on 'sludge in the gallbladder', please? In humans, it means liver issue and sludge eventually turns into stones. I do not know what it means in dogs and what to do about it.

For raw diet, I am already mixing Farmer's Dog (partially raw) with her turkey. Are you suggesting completely raw meat with boiled turkey?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
guidance on 'sludge in the gallbladder',
Sure!

Conventionally it is considered to be a "problem" because it *might* harden to become stones.

However, when viewed as one of the early warning signs (EWS) by a vet homeopath it primarily means that the liver and gall bladder are one focus of disturbance to the energetic flow that created the sludge in the first place.

And that when smooth energy flow is restored energetically (homeopathy, TCVM, etc.) the sludge resolves.

And yes, I was suggesting a frozen raw diet with higher vitality than Farmers Dog (which is a good diet for some dogs) such as Viva or Small Batch mixed with the turkey.

Another option (maybe try one for a few weeks then switch based on how Amelia is doing) is following Jan's Fresh and Flexible meal plan recommendations:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom